Northeast India is home to some of the most stunning, diverse and unspoilt landscapes in India.
From the snow-capped peaks of the soaring Himalayan mountains, to the Assam plains and the steamy forests and majestic waterfalls of Meghalaya – Northeast India shows off its best unspoilt nature!
6. Experience a completely different and troublesome side of India
If creepy tales of filth, trouble and chaos keep you from visiting India then exploring Northeast India offers you the chance to experience a completely different side of India.
This area is so different that sometimes I can hardly believe I’m still in India – the scenery, the food, the people, the culture everything is different.
See how to travel in India with these Train Travel Tips
While the lack of infrastructure makes travel here a bit bumpy and sometimes slow to move, I see Northeast India as a welcome exit from other parts of India.
The chaos and trouble that you get in the more touristy regions of India disappear in the Northeast.
No one tries to deceive me or touch me or even sell me anything.
Northeast Indian people where some of the friendliest and most honest people I’ve ever met on my travels.
Tips for Northeast India visit
- Northeast India includes 7 sister countries – Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura.
- All with different cultures, tribes, languages, foods and landscapes, just a paradise for brave adventurers!
- Some states, like Assam and Meghalaya, have better infrastructure and are more easily accessible than others.
- States, like Arunachal Pradesh, require special permits.
- Nagaland has very little infrastructure.
- Its lack of public transport and transportation means traveling independently here can be quite difficult.
But Northeast India is a wonderful and unique destination, absolutely worth the extra effort, after all not the meaning of ‘getting lost!’